The official website of the upcoming Junji Ito Maniac: Japanese Tales Of The Macabre anime unveiled all twenty stories that will be included in the anime on Dec 9, 2022.
A key visual was also revealed for The Strange Hikizuri Siblings: The Séance story.
The twenty titles include:
- The Strange Hikizuri Siblings: The Séance
- The Story of the Mysterious Tunnel
- The Hanging Balloons
- Ice Cream Bus
- Four x Four Walls
- The Sandman’s Lair
- Long Hair in the Attic
- Library Vision
- Tomb Town
- Layers of Terror
- The Thing that Drifted Ashore
- Unendurable Labyrinth
- The Bully
- Headless Statue
- Whispering Woman
- Soichi’s Beloved Pet
The website also revealed cast members for “Whispering Woman” and Soichi’s Beloved Pet.
- Shoko Nakagawa as Mayumi Santo
- Mie Sonozaki as Mitsu Uchida
- Tomoko Kaneda as Coron
Checkout the trailer for Tomie, which was revealed previously.
Other cast members include:
- Takahiro Sakurai: Kazuya Hikizuri (The Strange Hikizuri Siblings: The Séance)
- Romi Park: Kiko (The Strange Hikizuri Siblings: The Séance)
- Hisako Kanemoto: Sayoko (Unbearable Maze)
- Yōko Hikasa: Chiemi (The Long Hair in the Attic)
- Natsumi Takamori: Kuriko (The Bully)
- Hajime Iijima as Shigoro (The Strange Hikizuri Siblings: The Séance)
- Risa Shimizu as Narumi (The Strange Hikizuri Siblings: The Séance)
- Ayaka Asai as Hitoshi (The Strange Hikizuri Siblings: The Séance)
- Tomoko Kaneda as Misako (The Strange Hikizuri Siblings: The Séance)
- Rie Suegara as Tomie (Tomie: Photo)
- Yumiri Hanamori as Tsukiko Izumisawa (Tomie: Photo)
- Taku Yashiro as Yamazaki (Tomie: Photo)
- Tomokazu Sugita as Tachi (Tomie: Photo)
- Hiroyuki Yoshino as Kimata (Tomie: Photo)
- Riho Sugiyama as Kazuko Morinaka (The Hanging Balloons)
- Daisuke Kishio as Shinya Shiraishi (The Hanging Balloons)
- Iori Nomizu as Kagumi Fujino (The Hanging Balloons)
- Yuji Mitsuya as Sōichi (The Room With 4 Walls)
- Yoshimasa Hosoya as Kōichi (The Room With 4 Walls)
- Yuka Saitō as Sayuri (The Room With 4 Walls)
- Yutaka Aoyama as Tagaisu (The Room With 4 Walls)
- Hiro Shimono as Oshikiri (Intruder)
- Shun Horie as Goro (The Story of the Mysterious Tunnel)
- Tomomi Mineuchi as Mari (The Story of the Mysterious Tunnel)
- Risa Mizuno as Koyama (The Story of the Mysterious Tunnel)
- Daisuke Hirakawa as Akaska (Mold)
- Kousuke Okano as Seiji (Mold)
- Ken Uo as Rogi (Mold);
- Lynn as Reimi (Layers of Fear)
- Romi Park as Narumi (Layers of Fear)
- Mina Kobayashi as Mother (Layers of Fear)
- Kaito Ishikawa as Wadatsumi (The Thing that Drifted Ashore)
- Yūko Kobayashi as Mie (The Thing that Drifted Ashore)
- Yuuto Suzuki as Ishida (Alley)
- Seiko Ueda as Shinobu (Alley)
Junji Ito Maniac: Japanese Tales Of The Macabre anime will release worldwide on Jan 19, 2023, and exclusively distributed on Netflix.
Staff involved in the anime includes:
- Director/Character Design: Shinobu Tagashira
- Screenplay: Kaoru Sawada
- Music: Yuki Hayashi
- Acoustic Director: Goda Hozumi
- Production Studio: Studio Dean
The anime will consist of a total of 20 horror short stories from Ito’s works “for the first time” including stories from Tomie, Sōichi, and The Hanging Balloons manga.
In a previous announcement, the author revealed that a new anime project is in the works for his Itō Junji Kesssaku-shū (Junji Ito Masterworks Collection) manga collection. The manga collection includes some of Ito’s most well-known works and consists of 11 volumes published between 2011 and 2013.
Junji Ito is a Japanese horror mangaka. Some of his most notable works include Tomie, Uzumaki, and Gyo. His other works include Itou Junji Kyoufu Manga Collection, a collection of different short stories holding a series of stories named Souichi’s Journal of Delights, and Junji Ito’s Cat Diary: Yon & Mu, a self-parody about him and his wife living in a house with two cats.
Ito’s work has developed a substantial cult following, with some deeming him a significant figure in recent horror iconography.
Source: Official Website, Netflix Anime’s Twitter
© J.I./Asahi Shimbun Publishing, Junji Ito “Maniac” Production Committee